Image Map

Reading Workshop

Since moving to fourth grade, I have been doing a lot of reading on how I want to set up my reading block time. I have never been a fan of using the basal! The stories are generally not authentic and boring. I have always loved the idea of literature circles and book clubs. The only problem is, I don't make enough money to purchase 20 chapter books each time I want to start another book club. If only teacher's were paid more...

Back when I taught in Houston, my old district used Lucy Calkins Writers workshop. I was never trained on it, but I am still hopeful one day it will happen... The thing I love about Lucy Calkins is that she uses mentor text throughout all her lessons. Books you choose that you know your students will enjoy. I also love that her philosophy that students need to read much as possible. I know sounds obvious... but with limited time in the day most people create reading blocks where students aren't reading deeply and authentically. 

My goal for this year is to create a reading block that fosters a love for reading. I want my students to LOOVVEE reading! I look back on my experiences growing up, and remember hating reading because of the old boring text books and basal readers. Sorry but end of the text comprehension questions are LAME! reading is more than that! It should be that time when students escape to uncharted territories and imagine themselves in the world of their favorite characters. 

So, as a result, I have started my next project! 
I wanted to have my reading curriculum mapped out and ready to go for when school starts! My goal is to get all the units done... we will see... Each unit focuses on a different type of genre. What makes this great is that ANY story/chapter book can be used to teach the lesson plans. But, I did include suggestions.
In each unit I have included the TEKS and the Common Core Standards. As well as an overview of teaching points to help map out your calendar.
I decided I wanted my lesson plans to be brief and straight to the point. I know a lot of reading workshop units that are sold like this are very wordy and have directed "say this prompts". I did not want that! I am trying to be practical... no one has that amount of time to read all of that, especially when you have 4 other subjects to teach. 
Here are some sample lesson plans and handouts that go with them.
I am really excited to use these lesson plans and handouts in my class. I am hoping this will help create the reading environment that I am striving for. Unit 1 and 2 are on my TPT now. Unit 3 should be uploaded by the end of the week! For my Reading Workshop Units click HERE!

Happy teaching! 

No comments:

Post a Comment